It’s important to keep two things in mind when choosing what items you want for decorating your home; first understand where your authentic choices come from, and second be certain you able to recognize when you are not listening to your authentic voice.
No matter how you have been conditioned by society to think, feel, or behave, deep inside you dwells a voice unique to you; this is the authentic voice of your own true heart. I am not talking about the heart that pumps blood and keeps your body alive. I am referring to the one that keeps your spirit alive. Your true heart speaks to you through your deep feelings, your intuition and your instinct. It is from this place that we get that “zing” feeling of recognition that tells us we have found something that we love.
We can mask the voice of our true heart. We can cover it up and ignore its messages. We can place others opinions over our own. However, if we want to enhance our personal power in this world we must listen and follow our own authentic voice. This is where our real energy comes from, for in the core of our true heart lies our destiny, our unique purpose and the meaning for our life.
How can we recognize if we are listening to our authentic voice or to the voice of society? Listen to see if it is based upon what you want to do or what you think you have to do. If it is what you want to do then freedom is the root, if you are following a “should” then fear is the driving factor. Once you make the connection you can then change your decisions. Below are some examples of behaviors you might find that stem from the conditioned/fear based voice of society.
It is fear based when you ….
- add an item to your home decor because it was a gift and you feel you have to display it
- you choose a color scheme that you don’t like but you think you need it to be “in style” with the current trend
- there is not a single chair in your living room that fits your body comfortably (think Goldilocks, too small, to tall, too short etc)
- there is no place in your entire home where you can go to just think or quietly read a book because you think you must always be at service to those you live with
- always answer the phone and don’t let it go to voice mail when you are busy or are taking a break
- see an accessory, painting, chair or any other furnishing that really calls out to you but you dismiss or ignore it because others wouldn’t like it
- notice that your home is decorated to show off for guests instead of being comfortable to you and your family
- can’t even leave magazines around for fear of being yelled at (especially if the yeller doesn’t live with you anymore)
- feel ANY kind of discomfort or feeling of unrest while you are in your own private home…
I highly recommend getting an inexpensive letter size notebook, and begin writing down your thoughts about why you are doing these or other fear motivated actions. Talking out your troubles can be therapeutic too, but writing engages the brain more powerfully and when you write out your fear it is easier to deal with. Sometimes talking it out with a friend only serves to underscore and feed the fear. But go with what works best for you. Just check to see if you feel relief after a session of heart to heart talk and if you feel worse, try writing. You will be surprised how easy it is to get clear just by acknowledging the actions you are not happy with.
Remember to always go for what you really want in your home décor and claim it for yourself. Good luck and let me know how you are doing on your own project.
Thank you for reading my blog!
’till next time.
Ginger – Marie
Your Personal Space Coach