Now that you have located your good feeling “touchstone” the next step of Your Personal Scavenger Hunt can begin. Be sure to carry this “touchstone” with you if it is small enough and if not; keep a photo of it with you to keep you connected to the good vibrations it sends.
Begin Your “Hunt”
- Go to a bookstore, a news stand or a discount book store. Locate the design magazine section and gather a pile to check out. Sit at a table and begin to browse through them. When you find items you like, jot down the magazine name and any other key information. Often in the back they will list where you can buy items they feature.
- Purchase magazines that have what you like and maybe subscribe to a few as well. The point here is one of self-discovery where you give yourself time to discover what you love. This may take time, so be patient and enjoy yourself.
- Visit the HGTV channel or website to see what they have to offer. Make note of any styles that you love. Write down the shows that have what you like and see if you can get purchasing information on their website.
- Keep your decorating project in the back of your mind as you go through your daily life. You’ll be surprised how many different styles you will be exposed to on a daily basis. If you do remember a place where you felt really comfortable such as a restaurant or resort see if you can visit them and take photos of what you liked there. Ask the staff who their decorator was.
- Begin “virtually shopping” on-line. Surf the websites of companies you wish to shop at. When you see something you like, bookmark that page. When you narrow it down to a list of 3 possibilities, go ahead and “print screen” or “cut and paste” and print up a copy. Be sure to list the important details in case you want to purchase later.
Test Your Ideas
Make posters of your selections and put them on the walls of the room you are decorating. Live with them for at least a week and then choose your favorite. If you have determined other factors such as color or carpeting, add these to your posters to get the feeling for the completed look your room will convey.
Now that you have chosen the look of what you would like to have in your room, and an idea of where you can purchase these items, you are ready for the next step; “Playing Goldilocks.”
’till next time,
Your Personal Space Coach©