Knights of the realm, in days of old… (sounds like I am writing a fairy tale) used to wear metal armor to protect their body when going into battle. The weapon of the time was a sword or an arrow and the metal armor proved a great protector from harm. However well this armor protected them from arrows and swords it also caused problems under certain circumstances. For instance; if they fell off their horse while crossing a river they would sink and drown. The armor weighed so much it was exhausting to wear. And they couldn’t easily sleep in it so they were not protected when they slept and had to post a guard.
Why am I talking about a knight’s body armor you might ask? Because we too in the modern world where our own body armor, and for the same reason. Some actually wear it to protect themselves from death…fire fighters fireproof gear, police bulletproof vests, astronauts flight suits etc. What about those of us who don’t wear a uniform? What kind of body armor do we wear, and does it serve or hinder us?
Short List of Possible Body Armor
- running shoes
- hiking boots
- fanny pack that carries water
- back packs
- business suits both men and women
- hospital scrubs
- visors and other hats
- snow boots
The reason I call this a “short list” of body armor is because the list is actually unlimited. You see anything we put on our body from our clothes to our fragrance can be armor -it all depends upon what our purpose is for appearing in the manner we choose.
Sometimes what we choose is healthy for us and sometimes it is demeaning and damaging to our personal empowerment and energy. I once worked in a network marketing business with a women who made sure she showed extra cleavage pretty much on a daily basis but especially if she was meeting with a male client. I asked her once if she didn’t feel self conscious and she said she used what power she had to get the sale. She actually believed this and from my viewpoint she was hurting herself. Other women made more money than she did in the business and they didn’t expose themselves.
Checklist for Healthy Body Armor
Ask yourself these 3 questions and you will know if what you are choosing to wear is harmful to your energy.
- “Would I be afraid to go out without my chosen body armor?” If your answer is “yes” then ask – would your body be harmed such as in not wearing running shoes… then it’s a healthy choice, but if it’s yes because you would be afraid emotionally then you would want to examine what else you could do to feel empowered. It might be to not expose yourself to that environment and take that risk.
- “Am I hoping to get a certain result for wearing this armor?” Such as my friend with her cleavage – in other words is there a level of dishonesty happening where you are trying to manipulate another, or is it just standard protocol and respectful to wear what you are choosing such as a business suit at a corporate convention and there is a dress code. Remember manipulation might seem like a good idea and even necessary but in the end the only one we are truly manipulating is ourselves- not a very empowering thing to do!
- “Is there something I am NOT wearing because I fear ridicule or disapproval?” For instance I tend to wear a visor when I am outside. The Arizona sun really bothers my eyes and it protects me more than just sunglasses do. But it is not stylish and I had to get over not following the current style vs. doing what my body needed.
It is self-empowering to go to bat for yourself and make your actions true to what you need while not demeaning yourself. If you are still stumped about whether your chosen body armor for the day is empowering or not ask yourself if you were talking to your best friend what would you tell them to choose? Always be your own best friend!
’till next time,
Your Personal Space Coach